Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Happiness Project

Happy Sunday!

I'll TRY to keep this post a little shorter than the last two. A few months ago I was chatting it up with my BFF Chelsea. We live in different states so we were literally chatting. Sometimes living in a different place from a best friend is hard....I should know. When I was 7 I had to leave my best friend at the time behind as my family made the move from New York to Louisiana. We wrote to each other consistently for years and we're still in touch. But it's hard. So even though Chelsea is my bestie we aren't always in contact with each other which means we don't always know what's going on with each other. So a few months ago when we were chatting and made the discovery that we were both on a similar journey I was so incredibly excited and amazed. And convinced even more than I was before that we are indeed soul sisters...for life.

We started chatting more regularly. I was doing happy dances in my head over it because I had already intended on putting more effort into our friendship anyway, and it just seemed like everything was lining up on it's own. We were both glad to finally have someone to talk with openly about the journey we were on and the things we were experiencing. I don't remember all of the details. All I know is that one day Chelsea mentioned something about a happiness group and the happiness project. I bought the book immediately. She tried to see if she knew anyone else who would be interested in starting a happiness group. We weren't sure if anyone would go for it and we both would have been completely happy even if we were the only two people in the group.

A few people showed an interest and next thing you know we now have a lovely group of 5. So now I've got a happiness project going on. You can get an idea of how it works by visiting Gretchen Rubin's site here. The project involves making resolutions but I feel like in a more realistic way. Each month kind of has an overall theme with smaller resolutions within it. It's like breaking it down.

For example in January my overall resolution was to de-clutter. De-clutter emotionally, physically and mentally. Here are the things I decided to do and keep track of during the month.


  • meditate daily
  • write daily
  • yoga once a week
  • eat a good breakfast: whole grain and protein
  • less coffee (only 1 cup per day) more water and tea
  • walk (at least 3 times a week)
  • dance party
  • make the bed every morning
  • fold clothes as soon as they dry
  • put my shoes away
  • don't let dishes accumulate in my room
  • dust
  • 10 minute clean ups
  • tackle a nagging task
Every month you pick something new to focus on... a new overall resolution and then break it down. But you're supposed to keep up with the resolutions you've set for yourself previously as well. Like this month I was working on my February resolutions as well as January's. It seems like a lot at first but really it's not and it's so worth it even if it is. I think after awhile if it turns out something just isn't really helping you or isn't really your cup of tea then it's fine to stop that. For me most of the things on my January list were things that didn't take much time to accomplish during the day. Then after doing them for a month they turn into habits anyway. I'll give a rundown of how my January went and how this month has turned out later....I'm still in the process of figuring out what I'd like to do for March. Yikes...I can't believe it's almost March!

No comments:

Post a Comment